- Ongoing assessment of sites to develop
- Working with stakeholders to improve the business corridor
- Past development of Hollis Center Mall and Medisys Family Care Center – Jamaica Hospital Satellite
- The “Red Tails” project – sponsored 700 students from Renaissance Middle School – IS 192 to the movie with a presentation with the original Tuskegee Airmen
- Books – Donated books by African-American authors and stories about African-American life for kindergarten students at PS 136
- Sponsored college scholarships
- Sponsored classes by master drummer Winard Harper and his group, Jeli Posse at Renaissance Middle School – IS 192
- Established the Gladys Warren Triangle in partnership with the Parks Department – corner of 194th Street and Hollis Avenue. Ongoing maintenance by the Gladys’ Green Crew and the Parks Department
- Community clean-ups
- Hollis Playground – flower planting and ongoing maintenance along with the Parks Department
- Unveiled the memorial marker at Hollis Center Mall which honors the memory of our founder and visionary, Gladys Warren. It was her vision of a mall at the site of what once was a garbage strewn lot that had become a commercial anchor in our community.
- Purchased and donated personal goods and other needed items to families in Far Rockaway who were the victims of Hurricane Sandy.
- Sponsored the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting at the Hollis Center Mall. Children who attended received generously donated gifts.
My purpose is to honor the founder of the Hollis Local Development Corporation, the late Gladys Warren.
Mrs. Warren was a remarkable woman of principle and purpose. She had a mission that was designed to improve the quality of life of the residents of the Hollis community. She was responsible for bringing together the components which produced the Hollis Center Mall located at the intersection of Francis Lewis Boulevard and Hollis Avenue.
It was an honor for me to have had the opportunity to work on that project with Mrs. Warren. The current members of HLDC continue the mission that was begun by Mrs. Warren. We do so by introducing programs, projects and situations that are designed to improve the quality of life for all who live, work and do business in the Hollis community.
Michael Hargraves, President